- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Thomas Hardy - cronological record of his life and times.
The first 200 words of this essay...
1840 June 2. Thomas Hardy born in a cottage in Higher Bockhampton, Dorset, near the regional market town of Dorchester.
Eldest of four children of Thomas Hardy and Jemima Hand. To read Hardy's poem "Domicilium".
1848 Begins school in Stinsford.
1850-1856 Continues schooling in Dorchester.
1856 Hardy witnesses the hanging of Martha Browne for the murder of her
1856-1860 Articled to Dorchester architect John Hicks, Hardy later becomes
1857 Meets and begins friendship with Horace Moule, son of Henry Moule,
vicar of Fordington. Moule becomes Hardy's intellectual mentor, and encourages
his study of Latin and Greek.
1862 Moves to London to work for architect Arthur Blomfield.
1865 Hardy's first publication, "How I Built Myself a House", appears in
Chambers's Journal. Begins to write poetry.
1867 Returns to Dorset and works for Hicks on church restoration.
1868 Completes his first novel, The Poor Man and the Lady, and submits it to Alexander Macmillan. Novel is rejected by
Macmillan, who suggests that Hardy try Chapman and Hall.
1869 Chapman and Halls' reader, George Meredith, rejects novel, and suggests Hardy write a story with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Thomas Hardy (view all)
- Tony Kytes The Arch Deceiver
- Compare The Ruined Maid by Thomas Hardy and Cousin Kate by C...
- Analysis of "Holiday Memory" by Dylan Thomas
- Poets often write about ideas through exploring emotions. In...
- The poem "Neutral Tones" (by Thomas Hardy) is writ...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.