- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Woman In Black Evil Theme
The first 200 words of this essay...
"This is a story about evil: about how suffering and grief may warp a human personality and isolation compound those things, so that evil holds sway"
-To what extent do you agree with this assessment of 'The Woman In Black'?
I believe that there is no real transcendent definition of evil, but that evil is actually determined by the people's social, cultural background and acts throughout life. Hence, I agree with the assessment given above of The Woman In Black because her very essence as a character seems to be brought up around those traits mentioned above.
Some people define being evil as not only inflicting pain and suffering on others but also as performing an act for either solely selfish materialistic reasons (i.e. power or revenge), and I believe that this definition fits perfectly with The Woman In Black. Under this definition of evil, Jennet Humfrye does not commit morally wrong acts for sincerely benevolent reasons, her reasons to why she creates such chaos in Arthur Kipps life is truly selfish; the killing of his original wife and son prove just this. However, disregarding whether the ends were to be considered morally wrong they would
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Argumentative or Persuasive Essays (view all)
- How do we learn language?
- A sociolinguistic study on Singaporean teenagers use of lang...
- Open University E303 TMA03 : Comparative register analysis
- Evolution of language. Humans exclusively use language, howe...
- The word formation process. Analyse the importance of word ...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.