- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Write a critical appreciation of this extract, paying particular attention to its significant at this point in the novel and the ways in which it is written."There was…"(Page 41) to "…constantly changing light." (Page 42)
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write a critical appreciation of this extract, paying particular attention to its significant at this point in the novel and the ways in which it is written.
"There was..."(Page 41) to "...constantly changing light." (Page 42)
"In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths..." This surreal introduction to Gatsby's summer parties highlights an alarming sense of corruption to the reader. The immediate dreamlike image of the blue gardens proves both glamorous and surreal. The colour blue is used as a symbolic tool. The initial portrayal of men and girls as moths creates a sense of destruction. Moths are attracted to light, which in turn kills them. This image reinforces the idea that there is something threatening about Gatsby's parties. On the surface Gatsby's parties seem like the place to be; they are beyond the ideals that people in America in the 1920s dared to dream. Gatsby owned a number of motor vehicles, including a Rolls Royce. These vehicles took the guests to and from the parties. This gives a clear image to the reader that Gatsby was a very wealthy man. The mention of his motor vehicles implies impatience and a constant
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
F. Scott Fitzgerald (view all)
- The Great Gatsby's Green Light and American Optimism
- Characters in 'Living Well is the Best Revenge'.
- Compare and contrast the writers' presentation of Gatsby and...
- The Great Gatsby setting anaylsis
- How far do you agree that The Great Gatsby is a moral work? ...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.