- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A Critical Appraisal of Three Research Studies Related To Peripheral Venous Cannulae and the Incidence of Phlebitis.
- Essay length: 4303 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
A CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF THREE RESEARCH STUDIES RELATED TO PERIPHERAL VENOUS CANNULAE AND THE INCIDENCE OF PHLEBITIS.
It is widely acknowledged that intravenous therapy is an integral part of total patient care of many hospital patients. (Goodinson 1990, Stonehouse 1996, Parker 1999). A variety of devices are used to deliver intravenous fluids, medication, total patient nutrition and blood products. The most common delivery method being by the percutaneous insertion of a peripheral venous cannula. According to Campbell (1998) twenty five million NHS patients per year are estimated to receive some form of intravenous therapy via a peripheral route.
Peripheral venous cannulation has been associated with sepsis that causes substantial morbidity in patients, prolonged hospitalisation and increased hospital costs. (Maki 1991 cited in Campbell 1998 p1308, Pearson 1996 cited in Scales 1997 pS4, Curran et al 1998). Three main theories appear to provide a basis for predicting the occurrence of phlebitis. Physical theories support the premise that veins are traumatised by physical contact with organic or inorganic materials, The principle of the septic theory suggests that phlebitis develops as a direct result of sepsis or infection. Whilst Chemical theories propose that phlebitis is caused by the irritation
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Statistics (view all)
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative approaches...
- "Positivist researchers adopt a quantitative methodolog...
- Epidemiology, Mortality and Morbidity
- Explaining Research Methods Used by Social Scientists.
- Graphical Misrepresentation through statistics.
- Expenditure per Student in High Schools :Estimation Using Cr...
- Quantitive Methods - questions and answers
- Business Statistics. The aims of this report for AllRepairs...
- Dorfman, Robert (1943) essay 'The detection of defective mem...
- Stochastic Models
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.