- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The trifilar suspension is used to determine the moments of inertia of a body about an axis passing through its mass center.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Mathematics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The trifilar suspension is used to determine the moments of inertia of a body about an axis passing through its mass center. The apparatus consists of a circular platform suspended by three equi-spaced wires of equal length. The body under consideration is placed with its mass centre exactly in the middle of the circular platform. The platform is given a small circular displacement about the vertical axis through its center, and is released. The periodic time of the subsequent motion is obtained by measuring the time taken to complete a definite number of oscillations. Then from the formula the moment of inertia of the body can be calculated.
In Addition the moment of inertia of a connecting rod was found. The apparatus was a knife edge to suspend the rod and record the oscillations. This was the second part of the experiment.
T=2? L I 0+I
Where L=length of suspension wires.
r=radius from center to attachment points of the platform.
I0=Moment of inertia of the platform.
M0=Mass of platform
I=Moment of inertia of body
M=Mass of body
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Mathematics (view all)
- The Fibonacci Sequence and Generalizations
- Mathematics Coursework - Beyond Pythagoras
- The Arrhenius Equation and Activation Energy
- Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven is 108 lines long, and is writte...
- Lesson Plan for Physical Education Year GroupKS1 AreaSports ...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.