- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A member of the public may have a valid complaint against the press; however such a complaint may come without redress from the law. Alternatively, the individual may have certain protection under the law,
The first 200 words of this essay...
Broadcasting and Media Law
Assignment 1 - Press Complaints Commission
"One of the main deficiencies of the print media is its inability to control the publication of materials likely to be damaging to members of the public. Indeed, the absence of any strong regulatory and punitive measures is a clear indication that the print media have a licence to print what they want"
A member of the public may have a valid complaint against the press; however such a complaint may come without redress from the law. Alternatively, the individual may have certain protection under the law, however this may prove to be too expensive and therefore court action would be an unsuitable form of seeking redress. For a while, there has been a need for regulatory bodies that 'overlook' and regulate the actions of the press, without the need for government to intervene, a body that can act as a mediator between the disputing parties. This would provide a cheaper and quicker form of settling a dispute whilst keeping the matter away from the courts. However, this has not come easy, a self-regulatory bodies has been scrutinised over the years by the general
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Paper-based media studies (view all)
- To what extent does the print-media influence young people i...
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the five main adver...
- Should the Press be completely free?
- Analysis of Nelson Mandela's Inauguration Speech
- Critical Discourse Analysis
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.