- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
African American Comedy Film.
The first 200 words of this essay...
14 October 2003
African American Comedy Film
Reid centers on the interaction of textual, sociopsychic and socioeconomic factors when describing African-American Comedy Film. Minstrel was formerly a popular stage show in which white performers with blackened faces sang, danced and joked. The three forms of race humor described by Reid are blackface, hybrid, and satiric minstrelsy. "Carwash", the comedy about the life of black workers in a carwash business, is an example of the second variety of minstrelsy. The movie deals with a number of race and gender issues that permit different readings of the same text.
Blackface minstrelsy consists of white people wearing a blackface and performing caricatures of African-Americans. Their lifestyle is objectified in this way. Hybrid minstrelsy, on the other hand, includes both white and black players. They share the textual construction that consists of an addresser, a black object of ridicule and a spectator. In "Carwash", the industry film is the addresser, a bunch of African-American employees in a carwash business is the object, and it is aimed to an interracial mainstream audience. For example, the cameo appearance of Professor
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- The layers that can be constructed from the film “...
- Film Analysis - Edward Scissorhands - by Tim Burton
- In what ways does Italian Neorealism influence modern filmma...
- Cindy Sherman: Stereotype or Identity Crisis
- Woman as castrator: A psychoanalytic-feminist study of the c...
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.