- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Beware of the brutality represented in Spielberg's unconventional blockbuster "Saving Private Ryan". You cannot help but get a lump in your throat towards the end of the film
The first 200 words of this essay...
Beware of the brutality represented in Spielberg's unconventional blockbuster "Saving Private Ryan".
You cannot help but get a lump in your throat towards the end of the film. The traditional "war is hell" message is surpassed for a deeper and more personal battle of the petrified rookie interpreter Corporal Upham (Jeremy Davies). Against everything the war stands for he makes his turning point with his first and only gunshot into the head of a German soldier. The irony is that the very same soldier had pleaded for his freedom and much to Upham's relief, been freed by his more experienced American comrades, earlier in the film a decision made in compassion which has deadly repercussions.
The opening sequence reveals 20 minutes of carnage and ultimate destruction. Blood spattered cameras, unsaturated film tones and some nauseating hand held camerawork give a stunning unparalleled view of war as hell and creates a roller coaster ride of emotion from the very beginning. Sentimental perhaps, but in no way is this film, and indeed the opening, one for all the family. Deeply disturbing scenes like a man lying dis-entrailed, crying for his mother, soldiers burning to death and body parts flying
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Film Analysis - Edward Scissorhands - by Tim Burton
- Film Essay - Martin Scorsese.
- The Truman Show is a powerful satire on media intrusion into...
- Representations of Teenagers in the Media!!
- Explain Postmodernism using examples from film and televisio...
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.