- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the uses and meanings of symbolism within the book and film - Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier, published in a collection of stories titled After Midnight
The first 200 words of this essay...
British Literature and Film
Compare and contrast the uses and meanings of symbolism within the book and film.
Don't Look Now was originally a short story written by Daphne Du Maurier and published in a collection of stories titled After Midnight . The story focuses on a couple, John and Laura, who have recently suffered the bereavement of their daughter, Christine, and are on holiday in Venice, trying to return their lives to normal. While there, they encounter two twins, one of whom claims to be psychic, and from there on strange events start to happen. Nicolas Roeg's film follows the main outline of the story very closely, however, many of the specific details have been altered with the result that the film story becomes Roeg's rather than Du Maurier's.
The first scene in Nicolas Roeg's film is probably the scene that differs most from the book, and the scene that contains the most symbolism. Instead of watching the film passively as we would normally, Roeg forces us to concentrate and question and argue what we are seeing on the screen. He teaches us that, in film especially, our eyes can literally deceive us. This is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Film Analysis - Edward Scissorhands - by Tim Burton
- Film Essay - Martin Scorsese.
- The Truman Show is a powerful satire on media intrusion into...
- Representations of Teenagers in the Media!!
- How does Amenabar use presentational devices in The Others
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.