- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Comparison of the linguistic features of different types of language found on the Internet.
The first 200 words of this essay...
I intend to make a comparison of the linguistic features of different types of language found on the Internet. This area interests me simply because I believe the Internet is the new medium for communication, a place where people can talk in real time, send messages across the world in seconds, receive up-to the minute news bulletins, consequently there is a wealth of information stored on it. This information can take many linguistic shapes and forms. Much of the language on the Internet is an emulation of ones common to other mediums, newspapers, magazines etc. Nevertheless, this new medium also gives an opportunity for new non-standard language forms to arise.
The data I have chosen is as follows:
* A conversation from an internet chat-room, 28/01/01
* Two pop-up advertisements, January 2001
* An internet jargon glossary, January 2001
I have chosen this data simply because they provides a wide range linguistic features, that can be analysed and compared through four frameworks. As a result I hope to find that different web based sources, specifically ones that address different topics will use different lexis, orthography, semantics, discourse structure and graphology. As well
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electronic Media Studies (view all)
- facebook: communication
- What are the effects of violent video games on society?
- Cyborg - our advanced technology has brought along with it t...
- Computer Technology: the Good and the Bad.
- Cultural and Technological Determinism Advantages and disadv...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.