- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Comparison of the linguistic features of different types of language found on the Internet.
The first 200 words of this essay...
I intend to make a comparison of the linguistic features of different types of language found on the Internet. This area interests me simply because I believe the Internet is the new medium for communication, a place where people can talk in real time, send messages across the world in seconds, receive up-to the minute news bulletins, consequently there is a wealth of information stored on it. This information can take many linguistic shapes and forms. Much of the language on the Internet is an emulation of ones common to other mediums, newspapers, magazines etc. Nevertheless, this new medium also gives an opportunity for new non-standard language forms to arise.
The data I have chosen is as follows:
* A conversation from an internet chat-room, 28/01/01
* Two pop-up advertisements, January 2001
* An internet jargon glossary, January 2001
I have chosen this data simply because they provides a wide range linguistic features, that can be analysed and compared through four frameworks. As a result I hope to find that different web based sources, specifically ones that address different topics will use different lexis, orthography, semantics, discourse structure and graphology. As
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electronic Media Studies (view all)
- Communication in the modern world.
- Assertiveness is one of the most powerful communication tool...
- Computer Technology: the Good and the Bad.
- This essay will review the impact of computers on our societ...
- The Relationship between Technology and Culture.
- The Psychological Effects Acquired from Video Games and How ...
- Social networking and computer mediated communication
- User Generated Content and Web 2.0. Does the rise of Web 2....
- What in your view, are the main problems involved in attempt...
- Online Journalism - I will look at the rising use of interac...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.