- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe any two forms of Soviet culture 1918-1933 from the following: Film, art, literature, theatre.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question: Describe any two forms of Soviet culture 1918-1933 from the following: Film, art, literature, theatre.
The success of the Bolshevik revolution of October 1917 against the provisional government began a new way of Russian life. From the outset, their aim was to create a completely new society and break down the schism which had developed between high culture and popular culture in the Russia of 1917. Their desire to deliver the communist ideology to the illiterate Russian masses led to film becoming a major medium of communication throughout the decades of post revolution Russia. By employing popular culture as a key means of distributing propaganda, the film industry flourished under the Bolshevik reign, and produced several notable pieces in addition to pioneering new editing and production techniques. This new communist state brought about a new way of life and was the catalyst for a transformation of Russian culture.
Firstly, before the Bolshevik revolution of October 1917, film in Russia was a relatively small scale, elitist form of entertainment and accessible only to a minority of the population. Preceding World War One, films were only available in Russia which were imported from foreign
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Representation of Masculinity in ‘Billy Elliot&...
- Can documentary film be truly impartial?
- Compare and contrast the ways that Disney represents the cha...
- How Are Tension, Suspense, and Atmosphere Created in the Fil...
- Analyse the Narrative structure of The Proposition.
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.