- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Elements of post modernism in "The Icicle Thief".
The first 200 words of this essay...
PHILOSOPHY 252: PHILOSOPHY OF CULTURE
Carla Le Riche Malan
"The Icicle Thief" pokes fun at both the hyper-pathos of the neo-realists and the indifferent extravagance of modern society, by the use of several elements of postmodernism. Nichetti has created a neo-neo-realist film, in which postmodernism challenges the boundaries between genres, art forms and the mass media, in many cases by mixing these genres. The postmodern nature of the film supports the dispensation of elements of naturalism, seriousness, articulated symbolism, logic and homogeneity in montage, and sentimentalism to arrive at apparently depth-free assemblages of images that delineate the disjunctions of the world it represents. The distinction between reality and fiction (simulation) is undermined, or satirized by the use of irony as a primary mode of expression. However, abuse, installation and subversion of conventions usually negotiates contradictions as can be seen in "The Icicle Thief".
Postmodernism opposes central control, portrayed by Maurizio Nichetti's lack of control of his own movie and environment, when he is invited by a local network to introduce his newest release, called "The Icicle Thief", in which he plays a director whose name is also Maurizio Nichetti. The director, (apparently unacquainted with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Representation of Masculinity in ‘Billy Elliot&...
- Can documentary film be truly impartial?
- Compare and contrast the ways that Disney represents the cha...
- My aim was to produce a poster for an upcoming horror film, ...
- Assignment: Critical analysis of a film Raging bull by Marti...
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo