- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Part one: Brief and Research
Brief: This unit required the production of the first two minutes of an opening sequence (including the titles) of a feature film from the thriller genre. The audience for this film would be aged 15/18+.
From my research of thriller opening sequences, I have established that, as with any film genre, the thriller can be identified by code and convention. The thriller has consistent themes; characters and plot devices designed to evoke feelings of anxiety and intensified emotions from the audience. In order to amplify these emotions, the thriller will incorporate characters that are often subjected to life threatening situations. For instance, Agent Starling in The Silence of the Lambs is a vulnerable character, caught up in the world of the serial killer. The protagonist's vulnerability is recognisable in the audience meaning they can relate to the character. Therefore attachments are formed with Agent Starling. This connection is then tested throughout the film due to Starlings dangerous escapades, which directly involves the audience, thus heightening the thrill and making Silence of the Lambs a hugely successful film of the 1990's.
Agent Starling is a stereotypical heroine in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Representation of Masculinity in ‘Billy Elliot&...
- Can documentary film be truly impartial?
- Compare and contrast the ways that Disney represents the cha...
- How Are Tension, Suspense, and Atmosphere Created in the Fil...
- A Cultural Analysis of the Film Enemy of the State.
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.