- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'Semiotic analysis of an image of your choice'
- Essay length: 1505 words
- Submitted: 11/11/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
Media studies MED 103
Introduction to Media Theory
Assessment 1: 'Semiotic analysis of an image of your choice'
The aim of the essay is to undertake a semiotic analysis of an image, in this case a magazine advertisement, and to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of this approach.
Using analysis of:
* Denotation vs. Connation,
* Signifier vs. Signified,
* Representation of reality.
The image will be dissected into its individual building blocks in order to assess its effectiveness as an advert and its commentary on society today, also discussing whether semiotic analysis is the truest discipline to follow in this case.
Denotation vs. Connation, Signifier vs. Signified:
The image I have chosen is a magazine advertisement for 'Heinz Big Soup'. In order to analysis the semiotics of this image I will firstly discuss what is visibly present in the image (known as the signifier) and what the suggested meanings are (what is signified). The main focus of the image is a large, seemingly well made cooking pot with a violently broken handle, in the lower right hand corner
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Paper-based media studies (view all)
- Pluralist, marxist, functionalist and feminist approaches to...
- To what extent do the texts Heart of Darkness, Black Mischie...
- "Only a critical political economy approach can adequat...
- To what extent does the print-media influence young people i...
- HSBCs use of Intercultural Communications
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.