- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Shrek and traditional fairy tales.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In traditional fairy tales, ogres are man-eating beasts. The prince usually rescues the princess; they marry and live happily ever after. How do the makers of "Shrek" use presentational devices to reverse this traditition, to reveal the ogre as good, and the prince as evil?
In traditional fairy tales there is always a villain, a hero and a heroine. However, the makers of "Shrek" have not made the film traditional as the hero is an ogre and the villain is the prince. The traditional roles in this film are reversed.
The beginning of the film leads the audience into believing it is a traditional fairy tale because it starts off with "once upon a time", soft music and a narrator. There is a giant book with a start, middle and an end. The start is happy, the middle is evil, sad and the end is happy. So far the Audience believe they are watching a traditional fairy tale.
However our expectations are abruptly shattered as the ogre rips a page out of the giant book an uses that page to use in the toilet thus showing a sign of disrespect towards the fairytale. Then,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Film Essay - Martin Scorsese.
- Can documentary film be truly impartial?
- In School Daze, Spike Lee takes aim at an important issue at...
- Media Assignment: Bladerunner.
- Gus van Sant's three films, Gerry, Elephant and Last Days, a...
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.