- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Stereotyping in Tabloid newspapers
The first 200 words of this essay...
in Tabloid newspaper
Social Science Department
Concern has long been expressed over possible adverse effect of stereotyping. This essay investigates a sample of news stereotyping to determine how gender portrayal stereotypes women. Findings indicate that women are significantly more likely than men to appear as images of sexual beings first, rather than intellectual beings, and at the same time, journalists tend to focus on the domestic aspects of the politically active woman's life.
This is a sample from the DAILY STAR on the page 7 on November, 9 2003. The news story is about Ruby Wax who is well known herself due to the success of shows like "The Full Wax" which she writes herself, she is also a famous director at the BBC. In this essay, I will analyze how this newspaper article stereotypes Ruby Wax from 4 aspects namely photograph, placement, headline and content.
The size of the photograph it takes on the page is an important code for the reader as it affects the attention given to the article. There are two photographs of Ruby Wax that take up 4/5 of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Paper-based media studies (view all)
- Reality TV and Culture Industires
- To what extent do the texts Heart of Darkness, Black Mischie...
- Pluralist, marxist, functionalist and feminist approaches to...
- To what extent does the print-media influence young people i...
- My essay will analyse the heroes in the following four texts...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.