- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The depiction of gender within sitcoms. For this study I have chosen to use the popular television series The Golden Girls.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Television is widely known to represent the mainstream ideology of modern day society at least within certain genres like Soap Operas, Dramas and Television Series. While representations of women have been challenged over the years in order to accommodate the changing role of women in society , it is vital to ask how are women depicted on television, is this reflective of the real world and how does the representation affect the attitudes of those who watch it.
For this study I have chosen to use the popular television series "The Golden Girls" as it was viewed by millions and made its mark as a programme which defied the way society viewed women.
Before the 80s, the representation of women on television was quite worrying, stereotypes appeared on most programmes with leading or supporting ladies, these programmes tended to highlight women within the following category:
. Beauty ( as a focal point of the character)
. Sexuality ( as a tool within the programme)
. Emotional (as opposed to intellectual)
. Relationships (as opposed to independence/freedom)
Women were often represented as being a working unit within a family and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Television & Radio Studies (view all)
- Compare and contrast two different 'reality TV' shows and th...
- REALITY SHOWS AS A REFLECTION OF A CONTEMPORARY SOCIETY
- ANALYSE THE USE OF PERSUASIVE LANGUAGE IN PRINT ADVERTISEMEN...
- The influence of television on children.
- How Does The Media Represent Rap/Hip-Hop?
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.