- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The gangster genre of film has been on of the few genres which has evolved over time whilst still remaining close to the basic formula of each film
The first 200 words of this essay...
The gangster genre of film has been on of the few genres which has evolved over time whilst still remaining close to the basic formula of each film. One of the firsts to mark the start of the gangster/crime genre was D. W. Griffith's "The Musketeers of Pig Alley" (1912). The earlier films were set in the silent era if film. Meaning the narrative would often be crude and lack depth, due to the lack of any true dialogue.
It wasn't until the 1927 film that the first modern gangster film was created, in the form of Josef von Sternberg's melodrama "Underworld". It held many of the standard conventions and filmed from the gangster's point of view, a first for the genre.
When the 1930's and the emergence of sound being used in the film dawned. So did the use of real-life crime bosses being used in the narrative for the crime/gangster drama. Many films were made about Al Capone. The films also because more appealing to the audience, as the added excitement of screeching tyres and gun shots. As the 30's continued, a wave of gangster films was released, each using the same narrative formula each time.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Film Studies (view all)
- Representation of Masculinity in ‘Billy Elliot&...
- Film Analysis - Edward Scissorhands - by Tim Burton
- This paper is mainly a comparison of Sigmund Freuds Mourning...
- A Cultural Analysis of the Film Enemy of the State.
- The Truman Show is a powerful satire on media intrusion into...
- Christopher Vogler and Narrative Theories Essay with example...
- 'A common experience while watching a documentary is to be m...
- What was the role of the Hollywood studio system in creating...
- European cinema - major movements, directors and films.
- Analysis of a Scene from "Silence of the Lambs" (C...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.