- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Describe And Explain The Changes In Medicine In The Nineteenth Century.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Describe And Explain The Changes In Medicine In The Nineteenth Century
The nineteenth century was one of the most important eras in the history of medicine as many new cures and technologies were discovered. At the beginning, many poor people still lived in houses without proper sanitation, worked in dangerous factories and drank water from polluted rivers.
By the end of the century, social conditions had improved, medicine was more complex, treatments were more widely offered and technology was more advanced along with many other improvements. But why did these changes occur? What caused them? Why did they occur during the nineteenth century and not before?
* * *
During the nineteenth century, Britain became the first industrialised nation in the world and with the machines came problems. Many rural people, finding themselves out of work, moved to the towns in search of a new job in the factories. Even though new industrialised towns were built such as Manchester or Leeds, the towns could not cope with the amount of people. Houses were illegally built in cramped conditions next to factories that heavily polluted the air. In these slums, disease was rife and many died from
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Behavioural Science (view all)
- Law and ethics in nursing
- Biomedical models
- Alternative Medicine, also called unconventional medicine, t...
- Critically discuss the theoretical explanations put forward ...
- Stressors and coping mechanisms: a variation in gender, adol...
- Intervention for ADHD should not involve medication behavio...
- Narrative Medicine connotes a medicine practiced with narrat...
- Within Crazy Like Us, Ethan Watters explains many ways in wh...
- How does attachment influence the social and emotional devel...
- Case Study 3: Strategic Action Plan to Encourage the Positiv...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.