- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Carmen Laforet - To what extent do you think that Nada defends the patriarchal discourse?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Contemporary Spanish Literature
e) To what extent do you think that Nada defends the Patriarchal Discourse?
Carmen Laforet's Nada is set in 1940s post-civil war Barcelona, and is narrated in retrospect by the main protagonist, Andrea. After having spent the war years in a convent, an eighteen-year-old Andrea comes to Barcelona to live with her dead mother's relatives in order to pursue an academic career in letras. Andrea arrives at the family home, full of youthful enthusiasm, only to discover that nothing is as she had expected it to be, with the house on Aribau Street bearing no resemblance to the prosperous, happy home she had visited as a child. In the year that follows, Andrea becomes embroiled in the sordid intrigues surrounding the lives of the inhabitants of Calle Aribau, while at the same time forming a provident friendship with a university companion, Ena. Finally, just as it seems she is destined to spend the foreseeable future at Calle Aribau, Andrea is provided a timely escape route through an invitation to live with Ena and her wealthy family in Madrid. In style, Nada could be said
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Annotated bibliography
- Where you live can affect your health and well-being
- Critically reflect on and evaluate the academic skills you n...
- reflective account
- What are the key features of cognitive behavioural therapy (...
- International Resort & Spa Management
- Puerto Rican emigrants to US
- Red and Mark Rothko
- Graded unit : Impact of Zumba on womens participation levels...
- Determining vitamin C content in Orange Juice
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.