- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Set during the era of German reunification (1989-1990), Goodbye Lenin! follows the story of a young man, Alex Kerner, who must protect his mother's fragile health from the shock that East Germany has collapsed. The fall of the Berlin Wall was, without a doubt, an iconic moment in history. Months after the fall, the exuberance had faded, but the pain of reunification was still felt. This difficulty of coming to terms with a new reality is portrayed in Goodbye Lenin! through the themes of deception and nostalgia.
The opening sequence, a flashback of Alex's childhood, details his mother's emotion instability. His father runs off with, as Alex puts it, "his new enemy-of-the-state girlfriend." Alex's mother, Christiane, crumbles into a state of depression but soon emerges as a newly-committed warrior of the socialist state. Alex notes that she has "married the Socialist Fatherland." A passionate crusader for social justice, Christiane worries about the workers of Mozambique and serves her neighbors as a writer of world-class letters of complaint to the state. One night, she witnesses Alex tangled up in a riot, suffers a heart attack, and falls into a coma, awaking
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Reflection paper on "Through Deaf Eyes"
- Annotated bibliography
- risk assessment in mental health nursing
- Personal development analysis
- Ryanair 5 Forces
- Life Experiences at ELRI Program
- International Resort & Spa Management
- Puerto Rican emigrants to US
- Red and Mark Rothko
- Graded unit : Impact of Zumba on womens participation levels...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.