- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Personality Testing in the Workplace
The first 200 words of this essay...
Critically evaluate the use of personality assessment in work settings. What are the important professional issues?
Prior to the 1980's experimental evidence indicated that personality traits were not linked to job performance. More recent research suggests that these findings were down to methodological inconsistencies and personality assessments can predict job satisfaction and performance in various domains. This has led to a surge in the use of such assessments in work settings, most notably in selection and recruitment procedures. Several factors are thought to mediate the ability of personality assessments to accurately predict job-success. The main issues professionals should be aware of are test-selection, self-rating, faking and the interaction of personality with other factors. Theoretical debates are not of great importance to most HR practitioners. By briefly reviewing each of these issues and discussing their impact on HR professionals, this paper evaluates the effectiveness and usefulness of personality tests in the workplace.
Keywords: Personality, Assessment, Personnel selection, Professional issues, Recruitment.
Personality measures are frequently used by organisations for both recruitment and development purposes. SHL delivered 2 million online assessments in 2007/2008 (SHL facts, 2009) and according to Faulder (2005) all of the top
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Global Warming and the Two-Part Solution. In The Environmen...
- Personal Career Development Plan
- What are the key features of cognitive behavioural therapy (...
- The main responsibility for ensuring that care is not poor q...
- Critically reflect on and evaluate the academic skills you n...
- International Resort & Spa Management
- Puerto Rican emigrants to US
- Red and Mark Rothko
- Graded unit : Impact of Zumba on womens participation levels...
- Determining vitamin C content in Orange Juice
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.