- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe the processes responsible for ice movements. (20)Explain what factors influence the rate of glacier ice movement. (25)
The first 200 words of this essay...
describe the processes responsible for ice movements. (20)
Explain what factors influence the rate of glacier ice movement. (25)
A. Describe the processes responsible for ice movements. (20)
There are three main processes which are responsible for ice movements, these are; Internal deformation, basal sliding and subglacial bed deformation.
Basal sliding this is the process by which a warm based glacier undergoes thawing at its base. This is due to the melting point of the ice being lowered by increased pressure and friction caused by the ice. This in turn causes the accumulation of a thin film of water along the subglacial base. A part of basal sliding is ice creep, Ice creep is where the ice flows around or over obstacles on the bed. The subglacial surface is often rough and full of obstacles such as areas of resistant rock. When a glacier meets an obstacle on the bed it does not often flow straight over or around the obstacle, there is a slight pause before the ice negotiates the obstacle. The reason for the pause is because the obstacle protruding into the base of the ice mass causes an increase in pressure within the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Sciences (view all)
- DEFINE THE TERM HOMEOSTASIS AND USING EXAPMLES FROM A NAMED ...
- Introduction To Events Management 1 Assessment 4EM 001
- health promotion smoking
- What is an actuarially fair insurance premium? How might adv...
- Spain - A country full of different culture and life
- Is the international ban on the trade of ivory consistent wi...
- The recent water shortages in Spain have become a severe and...
- Discuss a range of geomorphological techniques we can use to...
- Identify and discuss the Concepts, Skills and Methods deploy...
- Water Conservation Projects in agriculture in China
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student