- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Desertification – Climate Change or Human Influences?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Christopher Allan geographical issues
Candidate No.- 972853488 rural Land degradation
Centre No. - 8636128
Desertification - Climate Change or Human Influences?
The Sahara is the largest of the deserts on the planet and expands from the west to east coast of northern Africa. Inhabitants have evolved to survive the harsh climate of the desert, however they now have to cope with the sprawl of the Sahara into the Sahel - Desertification.
There are contrasting opinions on the overall cause of the land degradation; some believe it is due mostly to the influence of humans and others consider changes in the climate to be primarily responsible for the spread of the desert.
There are four main human interactions that are said to lead to desertification: overcultivation, overgrazing, deforestation and poor irrigation. These are influenced by population change and changes in social and economic conditions.
Alan Grainger, author of 'Desertification: How people make deserts, how people can stop, and why they don't ', is a strong believer in the irresponsibility of mans actions in the spread of the desert. He states...
"Drought triggers off a crisis, but
does not itself cause
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Sciences (view all)
- DEFINE THE TERM HOMEOSTASIS AND USING EXAPMLES FROM A NAMED ...
- Is energy from waste a type of renewable energy?
- "Understanding the Savanna".
- The Mesolithic era.
- As the world's expanding population burnslarge quantities of...
- Is the international ban on the trade of ivory consistent wi...
- The recent water shortages in Spain have become a severe and...
- Discuss a range of geomorphological techniques we can use to...
- Identify and discuss the Concepts, Skills and Methods deploy...
- Citing a number of contemporary issues, evaluate pressures o...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.