- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Objective: 1) To perform an acid-alkaline extraction. 2) To recover benzoic acid and p-dichlorobenzene from its mixture using acid-alkaline extraction. 3) To determine the percent recovery of benzoic acid and p-dichlorobenzene.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title: Extraction: Extraction with Acid and Alkaline
Objective: 1) To perform an acid-alkaline extraction.
2) To recover benzoic acid and p-dichlorobenzene from its mixture using acid-alkaline extraction.
3) To determine the percent recovery of benzoic acid and p-dichlorobenzene.
This experiment is to use chemical method to separate the organic compounds which convert the mixture compound to be extracted to water soluble and water insoluble salt which is known as acid-base extraction. Extraction involves dissolving compounds either solid or solution into a solvent. Extraction is a chemical operation that is mostly use to separate organic compound which have different properties. To implement this experiment, we are using two solvents which are immiscible to each other. Normally are using ether and aqueous solution so will form two immiscible layers. In this experiment we used 10 per cent sodium hydroxide solution to convert the acid to its salt. All the organic acid undergo similar salt formation with sodium hydroxide solution. Hence, carboxylic acid can be extracted by using sodium hydroxide solution from organic solvent to form sodium carboxylate salt which soluble in water.
The aqueous layer is then separate by Separatory funnel
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Steam Distillation of (S)-(+)-Carvone from Caraway Seeds and...
- Determining the concentration of copper(II) ions
- Method's of Drug Characterisation
- Synthesis of different cobalt compounds through ligand excha...
- ALDEHYDE AND KETONE
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
- The two central objectives of this experiment are the produc...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student