- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Purifying Acetanilide by Recrystallization. The purpose of this experiment is to select a suitable recrystallizing solvent, to be able to purify and separate acetanilide from a mixture by process of recrystallization, and to compare melting points of recr
The first 200 words of this essay...
Purifying Acetanilide by Recrystallization
The purpose of this experiment is to select a suitable recrystallizing solvent, to be able to purify and separate acetanilide from a mixture by process of recrystallization, and to compare melting points of recrystallized and impure acetanilide. It would be beneficial to have prior understanding of how to measure mass in mg, volume in ml, and to measure melting points.
Organic compounds that are synthesized in labs or isolated from natural recourses often have been tainted by impurities. Recrystallization is a process that removes these impurities from solid organic compounds that are at room temperature. This process is built on the principle that the solubility of a compound increases with temperature and decreases as it cools down, into its crystal form.
Very pure compounds can be made by recrystallization. A small pure seed crystal of the compound forms in the solution as it cools down after being heated. Additional molecules are attached to the crystal in uniform layers, forming a growing crystal lattice. Crystal molecules have a higher affinity for the same kind of molecules than impurities. This process of crystallizing removes one kind of molecule from the solution.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Lewis Acid-Base, Molecular Modeling and Isotopic Labeling. T...
- Dumas Method
- Stereochemistry of Butenedioic acid. Objective: To st...
- Ion exchange
- Enzyme studies using acid Phosphate. This experiment will i...
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
- The two central objectives of this experiment are the produc...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.