- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Synthesis of different cobalt compounds through ligand exchange was performed in this laboratory. Electroconductivities and Infrared spectrophotometry of the compounds were conducted to observe the effects of the exchanges.
- Essay length: 2965 words
- Submitted: 01/05/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ligand exchange is among the most popular topics in the area of metal complexes. One of the interesting aspects of cobalt ligand exchange is its slow reactivity. Because of this, it is possible to study cobalt complexing with much greater intensity than other metals allow. Synthesis of different cobalt compounds through ligand exchange was performed in this laboratory. Electroconductivities and Infrared spectrophotometry of the compounds were conducted to observe the effects of the exchanges. With this in mind, we delved deeper into ligand exchange by attempting to synthesize another cobalt compound using the bidentate ligand, 2,2 bipyridine.
Cobalt has a coordination number of six, which means that there are six points of ligand attachment, leading to cobalt's ability to form octahedral complexes:
Figure 1: Cobalt's octahedral structure
Cobalt forms such complexes by reacting with Schiff bases and macrocyclic ligand complexes. (Hop, 1996) Schiff bases, or imines, are compounds that contain a carbon double bonded to an oxygen, resulting from the nucleophilic addition reaction between an aldehyde and a primary amine. (Bailey, 1995) This ability of cobalt to form so many different complexes is of great interest because
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Steam Distillation of (S)-(+)-Carvone from Caraway Seeds and...
- Determining the concentration of copper(II) ions
- Method's of Drug Characterisation
- Spectrochemical Series of Some d-block Transition Metal Comp...
- Purifying Acetanilide by Recrystallization. The purpose of t...
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
- The two central objectives of this experiment are the produc...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.