- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Acetylation of Para-Aminophenol. Aim To make para-hydoxyacetanilide as pure as possible, through acetylation of Para- aminophenol.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Chemistry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Acetylation of Para-Aminophenol
To make para-hydoxyacetanilide as pure as possible, through acetylation of Para- aminophenol.
(Pal, S n.d, online)
Laboratory safety precautions which were taken during this experiment were safety goggles and lab coats were worn. The effect of acetic anhydride causing eyes to water meant it is a necessity to wear goggles. It is important to ensure to avoid contact, inhalation, and ignition sources around this chemical as it is flammable.
15cm³ of water was added to a 100cm³ conical flask. This was then added to a suspension (mixture) of para-aminophenol (5.5g). The result of adding water meant the product became cloudy and fizzed. With the addition of ethanoic (acetic) anhydride (6.0 cm³) the solution changed from a cloudy white to a yellowy/brown colour which was only slightly transparent. The mixture was vigorously stirred and left to warm in a water bath (hot plate). Within the first few minutes of the product being on a hot plate, it began to dissolve slowly. After the product had dissolved it was a pale yellow transparent colour. Once it had fully dissolved, the product was left to cool down.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Steam Distillation of (S)-(+)-Carvone from Caraway Seeds and...
- Method's of Drug Characterisation
- Determining the concentration of copper(II) ions
- ALDEHYDE AND KETONE
- Synthesis of chloropentaaminecobalt(lll) chloride
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
- The two central objectives of this experiment are the produc...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.