- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Trends in the periodic table. This experiment, through calculating the density of four samples and determining the solubility of the alkaline earth metal salts, investigated periodic trends in density and solubility.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Chemistry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Trends in the periodic table
This experiment, through calculating the density of four samples and determining the solubility of the alkaline earth metal salts, investigated periodic trends in density and solubility. For the density experiment, each sample was weighed accurately with a balance and the weight was recorded in a table. The volume of each sample was then determined by dropping the sample in a known volume of water. The new volume was then subtracted by the initial volume and the density of each sample was then calculated by the density formula. The density which was recorded was very near to the correct density of the samples but a slight percentage error was obtained and was recorded in a table.
The density of germanium was determined by drawing a graph of the four samples and finding the density of germanium by interpolation. In the solubility experiment, about 1cm3 of 0.1 M solutions of the nitrate salts magnesium, calcium, strontium and barium was placed into four test tubes. One drop of 1 M H2SO4 was added to each tube and the observations of each were recorded on a result page. The experiment was then repeated by adding 1 M
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Purifying Acetanilide by Recrystallization. The purpose of t...
- Determination Of Nickel By Gravimetric Analysis
- EDTA Titration
- Cracking liquid paraffin
- Synthesis of [Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl2:
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
- The two central objectives of this experiment are the produc...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo