- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A Social Worker's role is described as being both an agent of social control and an agent of social change. Discuss what you understand this to mean. Analyse the dilemmas that performing these two roles might cause for Social Workers.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Caroline Ayanru Access to Social Work Training
Social Work Practice Assignment No. 1
Topic: A Social Worker's role is described as being both an agent of social control and an agent of social change. Discuss what you understand this to mean. Analyse the dilemmas that performing these two roles might cause for Social Workers.
The Social work profession grew out of the assistance activities of the 19th Century Charitable Organisations. Formally, all forms of Private voluntary charitable activities, including those of untrained, civic-minded individuals, were regarded as social work. More recently, however, a vast amount of new social research has made possible analyses of the social and economic needs of modern society.
The shift from voluntary to statutory work has now rooted social work more firmly within a legal framework of responsibilities. Also, the beliefs of modern social workers appear to be practically the opposite of the principles of social assistance developed by the founders of the profession and are able to successfully effect changes to welfare requirements. It is therefore likely that in so doing they can fail to be inspiring mentors to those welfare recipients who need to be motivated and guided. Ironically, herein
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Work (view all)
- Unit K/601/7629 Professional Organisational Issues In counse...
- In this essay I will define client empowerment in planning c...
- Social policy, legislative, and organisational context of so...
- Chosen area of practice:- Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Domestic Violence
- Inter-professional Practice and Safeguarding Children
- Professional Childcare: Restorative and Reparative Parenting
- In this essay I will explore the ways in which individuals i...
- Research Plan. Can future planning be improved for older car...
- Social Work Values. Values and ethics have been of fundamen...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.