- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Assess the extent to which debates about 'culture' are actually debates about power.
The first 200 words of this essay...
76A4 Society, Media and Culture
Assignment: Monday 21st March, 2005
Tutor: Pedro Nunes (Monday 12pm Seminar)
Word Count: 1656
Question 3: Assess the extent to which debates about 'culture' are actually debates about power.
The Collins English Dictionary defines culture as: 'The total of the inherited ideas, beliefs, values and knowledge which constitute the shared bases of social action; the total range of activities and ideas of a group of people with shared traditions which are transmitted and reinforced by members of the group; the artistic and social pursuits, expression and tastes valued by a society or class; the enlightenment or refinement resulting from these pursuits.
One example of a culture within our world today is Popular Culture, which is generally associated with the entertainment of the lower classes, carrying some negative connotations. Popular Culture consists of, amongst other elements, soap opera, sport, popular television and music, and in more recent years can also be thought of to incorporate the sub-culture of celebrity. Another example from the opposite end of the scale is High Culture. This is seen to be produced for, and aimed exclusively at, the upper class sector of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Anthropology (view all)
- Essay - Perception
- The Color Purple has been described by critics as a feminis...
- Rhetorical analysis on Redfern speech.
- Man is a social being and as such, one of his innate need is...
- Some mental disorders are culture bound. Discuss in relation...
- To what extent can human cooperative and social behaviour be...
- How have ethnographic analogies have been used in the interp...
- Article review- Deep Play/ Balinese Cockfight Clifford Geer...
- Book Review - The book, Return to Laughter is an ethnographi...
- Maori Culture. Describe mana and comment on its relevance du...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.