- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast pluralist and ruling elite accounts of political power in the UK and US.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast pluralist and ruling elite accounts of political power in the UK and US
The UK and US are essentially both democratic societies in which government is passed by the people, however, they cannot be fully democratic political systems as this would have to be characterised with political equality, which is obviously not the case as both countries have clear leaders possessing the majority of power. The size of both countries prevents everyone from taking part in the government and instead, a representative is chosen to govern on behalf of the people. There is a difference in opinion about how this representative governs; some believe a pluralist approach is taken in which the government is responsive to a plurality of groups which represent a plurality of interests and control diverse political resources. Others are sceptical of this approach and think an elitist approach occurs in which a minority rules over the majority in its own interest. This means they govern in a way, which is rarely responsive to the common public. Some people argue that the UK and US have very different political systems and are therefore governed in different ways. For example the UK
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
UK Government & Parliamentary Studies (view all)
- Where does decision-making power lie in the British executiv...
- Analyse the ideological differences between the three main p...
- Summarise the principal differences between old and new Labo...
- Evaluate the responsibilities of the different levels of gov...
- Winston Churchill: A British Statesman.
- Scottish Devolution
- The Beveridge report and the formation of the Welfare State.
- Does the Media have too much political power in Britain?
- Does Northern Ireland need some kind of truth recovery proce...
- British European Security Essay. COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE D...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.