- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Criminology. Its not enough to condemn crime we need to understand the causes.
- Essay length: 3778 words
- Submitted: 29/12/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
"It is not enough to condemn crime we need to understand its causes." Critically analyse this statement from the perspective of right wing criminologist and one other criminological theory.
Criminological theory is not constructed in a vacuum. The historical developments in criminology are inextricably entwined with the profound shifts in the social, political and the cultural climate of the past four decades. Tierney (1996, p.218) aptly cites Garland (1985) who points this out when he refers to the distinction of a disciplines internal and external history. The basic tenet is that criminological knowledge is influenced and connected to the broader social, political, cultural and economic ideologies of the time.
In order to critically analyse the statement it is necessary to consider the broader political context. This essay will situate the reader by outlining the post-war philosophies of the welfare correctionalist perspective. We will examine the political backdrop to the shift in criminological thinking that occurred in the late 1970's which influenced the revival of neo-classical, right-wing criminological thinking. We will then contrast this with left-wing, or a critical perspective. We will conclude by bringing the debate up to date by examining the recent crime policies of New
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminology (view all)
- Nature of Criminology
- Comparative policing systems
- Reflective Essay on working with a Team
- Domestic violence. The following essay will concentrate on p...
- Why do young people begin using illicit substances? Is drugs...
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the multi ...
- Critically examine the suggestion that punishment today is a...
- Imprisonment should only be used as a last resort due to its...
- HOW DOES THE CONCEPT OF SOCIAL HARM AND UNDERSTANDING RELATI...
- Why has the United Kingdom adopted CCTV technology with such...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.