- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: 'McDonald's stands for American cultural imperialism'? Support your argument with relevant statistics about the company, and balance your answer by considering McDonalds from the point of view of the
- Essay length: 3936 words
- Submitted: 29/04/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: 'McDonald's stands for American cultural imperialism'? Support your argument with relevant statistics about the company, and balance your answer by considering McDonalds from the point of view of the company, its customers, and the countries/communities in which the restaurants are found.
Consideration of the facts, statistics and the phenomenal growth of McDonalds- with a product that is closely associated with American culture- makes McDonalds a form of representation of 'American cultural imperialism' on rest of the world. The essay considers different perspectives about the issue; for example, McDonalds as a global organisation, its justification for the charges made by social activist and consumer's perception of the company image. The essay also integrates the consideration of adverse influences of McDonalds on different culture or nations, the economic implication for countries or communities in which it operates and mixed reactions of consumers to the American cultural imperialism that is reflected through McDonalds.
Due to the controversies and complex nature in constituent terms of the concept 'Cultural imperialism', most attempts to define it end up creating abstract complexities in the name of definition (Tomlinson, 1991; Barnett, 1997). However in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- Outline some of the main differences between quantitative an...
- Counselling theory. In this essay I shall analyse the philos...
- What are the main features of Marshall's theory of citizensh...
- Assess the merits and limitations of the ideas Sigmund Freud
- Discuss the scientific nature of sociology.
- What is the social ecological model? How can this perspectiv...
- Analysis on the Short Film "Ronans Escape" Using t...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student