- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Early on in Discipline and Punish, Foucault makes the argument that discipline and punishment shifted from the corporal to the mind and soul during the eighteenth century.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Body: Vehicle of the Soul
Early on in Discipline and Punish, Foucault makes the argument that discipline and punishment shifted from the corporal to the mind and soul during the eighteenth century. Before this happened, those who infringed upon the law were tortured and killed in public. This type of corporal punishment had no other purpose than to inflict pain before actually killing the perpetrator in question. Foucault even states that this form of judicial torture, of punishing the victim until the truth came out was, in "the hierarchy of punishments... placed immediately after death," thus implying the severity of the torture was more excruciating than simply being killed would have been (42). With time, it became clear to those in power that this was perhaps not the best means of punishment. It is here that Foucault argues that the shift to disciplining and the punishing the soul took place through the controlling of both time and space. By punishing the soul, Foucault argued that the punishment would penetrate the perpetrator deeper, by affecting their psyche. Furthermore, this type of punishment and discipline would prove to be more effective, because the people in question would be actively as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminology (view all)
- Nature of Criminology
- Domestic violence. The following essay will concentrate on p...
- Comparative policing systems
- Why do young people begin using illicit substances? Is drugs...
- Reflective Essay on working with a Team
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the multi ...
- Critically examine the suggestion that punishment today is a...
- Imprisonment should only be used as a last resort due to its...
- HOW DOES THE CONCEPT OF SOCIAL HARM AND UNDERSTANDING RELATI...
- Why has the United Kingdom adopted CCTV technology with such...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.