- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Ethical Issues in the Third World Development. Why do developed countries give foreign aid?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Professor A. Dewan
Ethical Issues in the Third World Development
23 March 2012
Short Assignment #2:
Questions on Chapters 8, 9, 11, 12
1. What is foreign aid? Why do developed countries give foreign aid? (Chapter 8)
Foreign aid is defined as a form of assistance provided by the rich, developed nations to the poor, underdeveloped countries. Different forms of aid are educational, agricultural, technical, scientific and financial assistance. Aid can be given from government to government, otherwise known as bilateral aid. The other form of aid is given from governments through organizations such as the World Bank, otherwise known as multilateral aid. In order for foreign aid to be classified as official development assistance (ODA), it must be given with the purpose of improving economic or social well-being in developing countries.
Donors provide development assistance for multiple reasons. One reason may simply be an interest to help the less fortunate, based on religious beliefs or solidarity. Another major reason is to pursue foreign policy objectives, such as diplomatic, commercial and security interests. Aid programs are also known to raise the status of the donor internationally and provide
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human & Social Geography (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science? This paper aims to discuss the diff...
- Consider the role of child care professionals in promoting t...
- human life span development
- Establishing an appropriate and productive working relations...
- social science
- To what extent is the west to blame for the failure of the g...
- I have chosen to discuss Wokings Italian community, as it di...
- Investigate the Factors that Determine the Well-Being of Afr...
- Kenya's Water Shortage. The objective of this project is to...
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation on internationa...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.