- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Evaluate the extent to which the United Kingdom Parliament is sovereign
The first 200 words of this essay...
Evaluate the extent to which the United Kingdom Parliament is sovereign. Consider both legal and political factors.
Before exploring the extent to which our Parliament is sovereign, one must first understand what Parliamentary sovereignty means. When describing Parliament as sovereign, it means it holds the supreme power - the ultimate source of political authority and the authority to impose and amend laws. In other words our Parliament is sovereign, and it owes obedience to no other. However, there are some limitations on this power that need to be discussed. How far can the United Kingdom Parliament be sovereign, if certain, more specific areas of law or other jurisdictions can overrule it? In this essay I will explore how far Parliament is sovereign, and if there are limitations, what they are and whether they mean Parliament cannot be sovereign at all.
There are many arguments that suggest that even from the outset, Parliament had limitations put on it - in other words it was born unfree. The 1707 Acts of Union brought about the Great British Parliament between Scotland and England, many agree that this itself induced limitations on Parliament's Power. This is most strongly argued by JDB Mitchell,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
UK Government & Parliamentary Studies (view all)
- Where does decision-making power lie in the British executiv...
- Why do policies fail?
- Evaluate the responsibilities of the different levels of gov...
- What is the policy-making process? In your view, which is th...
- Winston Churchill: A British Statesman.
- Scottish Devolution
- The Beveridge report and the formation of the Welfare State.
- Does the Media have too much political power in Britain?
- Does Northern Ireland need some kind of truth recovery proce...
- British European Security Essay. COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE D...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.