- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Examine the extent to which Nietzsche’s ideas provide a coherent alternative to liberal democracy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Examine the extent to which Nietzsche's ideas provide a coherent alternative to liberal democracy.
The work of Friedrich Nietzsche offers a very different form political philosophy from those works that liberal democracies worldwide have built themselves around. It is perhaps this alternative view of the world that has lead to such a great interest in his works. A closer review of the practical nature of the ideas put forward however may suggest that the ideas may not be able to form a coherent alternative to liberal democracy.
It can be argued that the main ideas on which liberal democracy are based are the notion of a social contract, a belief in progress, the faith placed in material wealth, human rights, equality and of course a belief in democracy (Owen 1995 p5). At some stage during his writings Nietzche attacked all of these aspects. Nietzsche sights that the whole political process is just a mask to cover the will of political leaders to gain power for themselves thus making Liberal Democracy a sham.
The main focus of Nietzsche's political writing is on the idea that politics is simply a way for people to exercise power over
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Systems (view all)
- Ministerial Responsibility
- Economic Development is a necessary and sufficient condition...
- Has Neofunctionalism Been Superseded By A New 'Liberal Inter...
- Compare critically the ideas of representation proposed by E...
- What Democracy Means To Me
- The Relationship Between Congressional Elections and Represe...
- Is the US Supreme Court the most powerful branch in the Gove...
- Has the effort of the Chinese central party-state to reasser...
- Is liberal democracy the best system?
- Influence of Super PACs on Romney Campaign
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.