- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How Important Is Symbolism In the African Story 'Veronica' by Adewale Maja-Pearce?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Anthropology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
HOW IMPORTANT IS SYMBOLISM IN THE AFRICAN STORY "VERONICA" BY ADEWALE MAJA-PEARCE?
There is no doubt whatsoever that in Adewale Maja-Pearce's story of "Veronica" she uses contrast to show, initially, the ever-increasing gap between the traditions of cultural village life and the materialism of city life. The story highlights how cultures change and traditions move on, but your heart lies where your roots are. You cannot change the love for your birthplace, as it will always flow through your blood, as seen by the "pull" that Okeke feels about his origins.
Symbolism plays a very important role in this story. It is, in fact, the symbolism in the story that illustrates fully the initial pain Okeke feels at being parted from Veronica. It exposes the clash of village and city life, the urban/rural divide, and then, finally the return to pain Okeke feels when having to bury Veronica, the only woman who he could see himself loving. This is most palpable when Okeke describes Veronica as having "a certain attractiveness". Therefore, the symbolism in this story is so strong that it can essentially be related to these three areas and the author uses natural or materialistic emblems
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Anthropology (view all)
- Rhetorical analysis on Redfern speech.
- 'What is British Culture?'
- Organizational Culture.
- 'Shojo culture has excelled in its potential for creating em...
- The West: Unique, not universal
- To what extent can human cooperative and social behaviour be...
- How have ethnographic analogies have been used in the interp...
- Article review- Deep Play/ Balinese Cockfight Clifford Geer...
- Book Review - The book, Return to Laughter is an ethnographi...
- Maori Culture. Describe mana and comment on its relevance du...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.