- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How is gender identity influenced by social structures? In what ways can occupation and employment affect identity?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question Part (a)
How is gender identity influenced by social structures?
In this paper will be looking at identity. In particular what identity is how it is formed and what the main points of gender identity are. This will be done with the aim of finding out which social structures have an influence on gender identity.
When we think about identity we think often relate it to many things. Usually we would think about how we see ourselves - black, white, mother, student etc. Secondly we would think about how others view us - teacher, athlete. These characteristics form an identity for us making us similar to some people and at the same time different from others. It connects us to the world around us in some way. Elements of ones view of self and the society's view of us, combines to produce identity. Simply put by Louis Althusser (1974) "identity is the one that fits us".
We know what identities are but how to we construct them? The 3 notable arguments on this are from George Herbert Mead (1934), Erving Goffman (1959) & Sigmund Freud. Firstly, looking at Mead who used the concept of symbolising.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- The mostly widely used models include the Social-Cognitive T...
- The social class theories of Marx and Weber.
- Origin of the species - A discussion of Charles Darwin's The...
- Consensus perspective
- This assignment will Discuss and compare two theories Marxis...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.