- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Is the formation of gangs lined to strain theory
The first 200 words of this essay...
IS THE FORMATION OF GANGS LINKED TO THE STRAINS SET OUT BY COHEN, CLOWARD & OHLIN? MIGHT OTHER EXPLANATIONS EXPLAIN THIS PHENOMENON BETTER? DISCUSS
This paper will consider the formation of delinquent gangs within our society from a criminological perspective. It will look at the definition of a gang, its motives, purposes and effects. It will then examine links to strain theory, first proposed by Merton, which was expanded upon in the work of the criminologists Cohen, Cloward and Ohlin. It will consider other criminological theories and explanations to see if they help us understand this phenomenon. It will conclude that the strain theory forms the basis for a school of thought, but that other theories may more suitably provide the impetus for a new phase of criminological studies to examine this problem from a specifically UK perspective.
There is no generally agreed-upon definition for a gang as such. However, a suggested definition (Klein, 2005, p. 136) could be a "durable, street-oriented youth group whose own identity includes involvement in illegal activity." This suggests a group of individuals that share a common identity. A gang can signify an opposition to mainstream norms, such as abiding by the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminology (view all)
- Reflective Essay on working with a Team
- Court room observation
- Assess the character and causes of youth offending.
- Moral panics
- WHY DO MISCARRIAGES OF JUSTICE OCCUR? HOW CAN THEY BE PREVEN...
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the multi ...
- Critically examine the suggestion that punishment today is a...
- Imprisonment should only be used as a last resort due to its...
- HOW DOES THE CONCEPT OF SOCIAL HARM AND UNDERSTANDING RELATI...
- Why has the United Kingdom adopted CCTV technology with such...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.