- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Methods used to research long-term effects of drug use in sport
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discovering Society - Formative assignment
Anonymous Code: Z0504002
Describe and evaluate the methods that have been used to research the long-term effects of performance enhancing drugs in sport
In this essay I will look not only at the methods that have been used to research performance enhancing drugs, but firstly at the main reason for athletes feeling the 'need' to take these drugs. Secondly, I would like to give a brief overview of the drugs that have been banned by the world anti doping agency.
In my opinion the main reason for athletes taking such measures is all to do with the commercialisation of sport, and the extreme pressures put on athletes to perform and win; hence the term 'win at all costs' Vince Lombardi famously quotes 'Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing'. It is this ethic combined with commercialisation that makes the pressure so great, and therefore performers use drugs. Coakley (1994) refers to commercialization in sport as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the approach into studying children's f...
- The development of self-awareness and shifts of Locus of sel...
- Health and Illness can only be understood when taking into a...
- Internal and External factors of Motivation
- This evaluation study will thoroughly study factors that inf...
- Evaluate the claim that migration is positively valued in th...
- Reasons for Working. How does paid employment affect your i...
- A Summary for Anthony Giddens Essentials of Sociology
- APPLICABILITY OF PROBABILITY SAMPLING TECHNIQUE IN AFRICAN C...
- Utilitarianism. When it comes to welfare and wellbeing util...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.