- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Personality theories according to Stolorow & Atwood
The first 200 words of this essay...
During our life we all develop some ideas about people in general, some terms for describing and differentiating among people, and some rules for understanding and predicting the behaviour of others. For example, someone who sits in a corner and does not talk to many people and does things primarily by himself might be described as having a very reserved type of personality. We describe people in personality terms and based on our assessment of their personality, make assumptions on whether or not we like them. Personality theorists are concerned with the total person and attempt to understand the complex relationships among the different aspects of an individual's functioning.
Personality theories according to Stolorow & Atwood (1979) try to make two kinds of statements. The first statement refers to the core of personality. It is in this core where the theorist makes his major statement about the overall directionality, purpose and function of life. The second statement refers to the periphery of personality. It is at the peripheral level where the theorist makes his major statement concerning the concrete styles of life that differ from person to person.
Within the core tendency of the Rogerian theory of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- In What Ways Can The British Police Be Said To 'Police By Co...
- Social action can be defined as a certain meaningful action ...
- Weber, capitalism, religion and social control
- Compare and contrast the organic and mechanical theories of ...
- This essay will use examples from contemporary sport, to cri...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'