- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Prime Minister versus President
The first 200 words of this essay...
Siaroff, Ch. 6 (pg. 141-171)
Question: What works better, a President or a Prime Minister?
A nation's type of government refers to how that state's executive, legislative, and judicial organs are organized. All nations need some sort of government to avoid anarchy. Democratic governments are those that permit the nation's citizens to manage their government either directly or through elected representatives. This is opposed to authoritarian governments that limit or prohibit the direct participation of its citizens. Two of the most popular types of democratic governments are the presidential and parliamentary systems.
According to Alan Siaroff, in a presidential system, "the position of head of government (the one who runs the country) and head of state (the symbolic national head) are fused in the single office of the president" (Siaroff, 2005). Within a presedential system, "the president is chosen seperately from the legislature (even if on the same day), making the president independent from the legislature in terms of political survival (and vice-versa)" (Siaroff, 2005). What makes a presidential system unique is the president is elected for a fixed term of a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Systems (view all)
- Has Neofunctionalism Been Superseded By A New 'Liberal Inter...
- Is Pluralism Faithful to the Idea of Democracy?
- Communalism in Malaysia
- To what extent is liberalism compatible with democracy?
- Distinguish between and give brief examples of, the exercise...
- The Relationship Between Congressional Elections and Represe...
- Is the US Supreme Court the most powerful branch in the Gove...
- Has the effort of the Chinese central party-state to reasser...
- Is liberal democracy the best system?
- Influence of Super PACs on Romney Campaign
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.