- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Recreating a “Defining Moment”, Carol Ann Duffy “The Suicide”& “Havisham”.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Recreating a "Defining Moment", Carol Ann Duffy
"The Suicide"& "Havisham".
" The poems in 'Mean Time' are about the different ways in which time brings about change or loss. In the collection Duffy means to write about time. The effects of time can be mean. Mean can mean average. In the events in the poems can happen to an average man or woman. The dwindling of childhood. Ageing. The distance of history. The tricks of memory. The end of love. New love. Luck." In 'The Suicide' and 'Havisham' Duffy shows how normal people react to devastating events, which have happened in their lives. Often reliving the very moment for the rest of their lives. The writer does this by using dramatic monologue (direct speech, 1st person narrative) and surrealism expressed through clear imagery.
Being jilted, 'Havisham' and attempting suicides, 'The Suicide', are rare performances but can happen to anyone, the first event can lead to the second, depression or even a nervous breakdown. Events are relived in victim's minds, like a movie, different every time it is watched. We can see this effect in 'Havisham', it starts off with hate, "beloved sweetheart bastard." And ends
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Religion in Society (view all)
- This essay will critically explore the contribution made by ...
- The Voluntary Sector. Discuss and evaluate the potential eff...
- Is the influence of religion in western society declining? C...
- Anomie, Egoism, Suicide, and Fatalism
- Church Growth and Evangelism in a Postmodern Context
- I will examine the cultural expression of religion, and disc...
- I have decided to look at three articles that are related to...
- The Christian Cultural Heritage of the USA. Thomas Jefferso...
- The Changing Role of the Catholic Church in Latin America
- The Catholic Church analyzed. The reoccurring presence of s...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.