- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Root causes of terrorism. Analysts such as Tore Bjorgo argue that terrorism is a set of methods of strategies of combat rather than an identifiable ideology or movement (Bjorgo, 2005).
The first 200 words of this essay...
A consensus on the definition of terrorism has been difficult to develop due to the lack of academic and legal agreement. However, analyst such as Tore Bjorgo argue, as a core assumption, that terrorism is a set of methods of strategies of combat rather than an identifiable ideology or movement (Bjorgo, 2005). It also involves the premeditated use of violence against non-combatants in order to achieve a psychological effect of fear on other than the immediate target (Bjorgo, 2005). In addition terrorism is an extremism of means rather than one of ends (Richardson, 2006). The root causes of terrorism are vital in combating this phenomenon. The concept has developed relatively slowly after the 2001 terrorist attacks in Washington D.C and New York City. The causes of terrorism are centered around four basic aspects of modern life: psychology, politics, the domestic and global economy and religion.
Explanation of the psychological causes of terrorism at an individual level is insufficient. This is primarily due to the lack of uniformity in terms of personality type and general psychological traits (Richardson, 2006). In fact terrorist groups often flush out those mentally weak individuals seeing them as a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- The mostly widely used models include the Social-Cognitive T...
- Compare and contrast one process theory of motivation with o...
- Discuss how the social divisions of age, gender, ethnicity a...
- The social class theories of Marx and Weber.
- Origin of the species - A discussion of Charles Darwin's The...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.