- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Shaming is an under-used resource in crime control. Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
Shaming is an under-used resource in crime control. Discuss.
It has been suggested that shaming is an under-used resource in crime control. This raises issues over what shaming is, how it works, and what affect it can have on crime control and crime rates. To address these questions, I begin by explaining what shaming is and how it is used in practice, looking at both retributive and reintegrative shaming. I move on to discuss the weaknesses and strengths of shaming, incorporating discussion of theories underpinning why people commit crimes for the purposes of illustrating how far shaming may work. Finally, I consider how successful use of shaming could impact on crime rates and demonstrate the potential wider effect on rehabilitation, recidivism and prison populations.
Shaming takes two forms, retributive and reintegrative (McLaughlin et al, 2003, p6; Hughes, 2001, p285). Retributive shaming involves stigmatising the offender, with public contempt shown for their actions. A consequence may be a prison sentence, excluding the individual from society. Emphasis is on punishing the criminal act and not on any possible prevention of future crime (McLaughlin et al, 2003 pp6-7). This is the standard model of law enforcement and crime control in the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminology (view all)
- Reflective Essay on working with a Team
- "Critically debate whether the principle of integrity o...
- Research proposal
- Victimology. Domestic Violence
- Domestic violence. The following essay will concentrate on p...
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the multi ...
- Critically examine the suggestion that punishment today is a...
- Imprisonment should only be used as a last resort due to its...
- HOW DOES THE CONCEPT OF SOCIAL HARM AND UNDERSTANDING RELATI...
- Why has the United Kingdom adopted CCTV technology with such...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.