- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Social Biases: Stereotyping, Prejudice, and Discrimination
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Running head: SOCIAL BIASES
Doyle O. Welborn
University of Phoenix
The concept of social bias is more pervasive in our society than most people realize. Research in the field of social psychology reveals that social bias prevents mutually beneficial interaction among people. This problem could be detrimental to ingroup cohesion, intergroup cooperation, and the success of society. This paper will define the concept of social bias, explain subtle and blatant biases, describe the impact of bias, and evaluate strategies to overcome social biases.
Defining the Terminology
Social bias occurs in at least three forms: stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination (Fiske, 2004). These forms of social bias are a category-based response which is correlated but not redundant (Fiske, 2004). Category-based responses are typically clearly defined, negative, and directed at members of an individual's outgroup. These responses can be separated into three aspects: cognitive, affective, and behavioral (Fiske, 2004).
Stereotyping is Cognitive
Stereotypes are cognitive structures which people use to organize the characteristics or attributes related to groups of people and the functioning interactions of those various characteristics (Fiske, 2004). People use
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Sociology (view all)
- Consider when and how researchers might use qualitative and ...
- Since all sorts of gender inequality continues to exist toda...
- What are the effects of violent video games on the society?
- How are bodies socially constructed?
- Research Outline. A study of social class and educational a...
- Native American Mascots: Tribute or Mockery?
- Discus how the physical and emotional health of men is shape...
- Action Plan for research into the effects of playing violent...
- Critically explore some of the issues that should be conside...
- Why is it important to communicate science well? The initial...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.