- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Student ID: 16536917
Plato's parable of the cave serves as an allegory for ignorance and lack of knowledge (Cohen, 2006), as well as changing perceptions of 'reality' and what one believes to be 'real' (Scruton, 1995). The parable describes prisoners who have been chained down in this cave, depicted as being ignorant and having a limited understanding of the world beyond this environment in which they are being held captive (Cohen, 2006). The prisoners have been positioned to face a wall, unable to turn their heads (Plato, 1901), and as the result of a fire burning behind them, they are only able to observe the flickering shadows of puppets being played behind them on the wall before them (Scruton, 1995).
As a result, the prisoners assume that the shadows on the wall they are facing to be 'real' (Cohen, 2006), when, in actuality, they are completely oblivious to the fact that these shadows have come about as a result of the puppets being played behind them (Scruton, 1995). Similarly, the civilians on Earth in the movie The Matrix fail to see that they too are living in a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- The mostly widely used models include the Social-Cognitive T...
- Discuss how the social divisions of age, gender, ethnicity a...
- Origin of the species - A discussion of Charles Darwin's The...
- psychology, sociology and social policy
- The social class theories of Marx and Weber.
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.