- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Social Work Theory and Practice - Discuss Anti-Oppressive Theory and one other social work theory and evaluate how they would inform social work aimed at protecting vulnerable people.
- Essay length: 3309 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Social Work Theory and Practice
Discuss Anti-Oppressive Theory and one other social work theory and evaluate how they would inform social work aimed at protecting vulnerable people.
Joint Programme -
Diploma in Professional Studies in Nursing and Social Work
Student number - 50991042
Tutor - Liz Shingler
Word count - 2,979
The British Association of Social Workers (BASW) include in their definition of social work the promotion of "...social change...and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance well-being." People from all social groups can suffer abuse or oppression of some kind or other (though some people are at greater risk) and I feel that the above definition suggests that a role of social work is to help protect vulnerable people against abuse. In this essay I will explore anti-oppressive and task-centred theories and ways in which these can be employed to counter abuse and discrimination. I will illustrate this with an example from my practice and take a closer look at the term "abuse" and some of the things we mean by it. Following this I intend to examine the role of the social worker in protecting vulnerable individuals and groups
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Work (view all)
- Analyse the assessment process from your practice setting, w...
- Reflective Practice study
- This assignment will focus on the characteristics of the soc...
- In this essay I will define client empowerment in planning c...
- The literature I will be critically reviewing is an article ...
- The Impact of Single Parenting Affecting Child Outcome
- Medical and Social Models of Specific Learning Disabilities ...
- Inter-professional Practice and Safeguarding Children
- Professional Childcare: Restorative and Reparative Parenting
- In this essay I will explore the ways in which individuals i...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.